Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Hopping back on the saddle

It has been six months since my last confession blog.  Coincidentally, it has been about that long since my last bike ride.  A lot has happened in the past half year - a wedding, a new pregnancy, two full marathons, a 10k . . . Yep, that's right!  My husband and I are expecting our first baby - a BOY -  this June!  

Goodbye, 2014 triathlon season!  I kid, I kid.  Sort of.  Ha ha.  

Anyway, I figured out pretty early that something was amiss - while we were having an unbearably hot and humid summer, my long runs were holding steady.  At the end of September, I noticed that I could barely hold my "easy" pace, and on work days I was falling asleep at 6pm and sleeping through the night, dead to the world.  It took me exactly 2 weeks of this schedule to figure it out.  I took a test, which confirmed my suspicions within seconds.  I took two more, just to be sure!!!

Long story short - I have been feeling fantastic.  The doctors gave me the green lights to train as I normally would, but to drink a lot of water and to listen to my body.  My runs have turned to more of a walk, but I suspect that has more to do with taking two months off from exercise than from growing a person.

This lack of exercise was painfully obvious this past weekend when I surprised everyone by actually showing up for a group ride (remember that part I said about being extremely tired?) - and early, to boot!  The plan was to ride 20 miles, and I figured that would not be a problem.  At first, I was uncomfortable - by no means do I have a flat stomach or visible abs, but I never actually had a belly that hung over my waistband.  Once I got used to the added pressure on my poor bladder, I didn't seem to notice much.  

About 5 miles in, legs spinning like crazy to keep up, I knew 20 miles was too much for me.  I did the best I could, but man alive, were my legs tired!  I told my companions that I was going to turn at the 7.5 mile marker, assured them I would be fine on my own, and headed back down the trail, moseying along at 15mph.  

During my solo ride, I thought about how lucky I have been - from being athletic from a very young age, to surviving non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma, to getting back in shape from gaining weight from treatments, to coaching basketball, running marathons and triathlons . . . I've never been "slim," but I've never been overweight, either.  I thought about all of those people out there who are being active, and how difficult it is for beginners or people beginning again, and I was overcome with inspiration.

I want to thank everyone out there who is active - whether you have only recently begun swimming, walking, Zumba-ing, strength training, etc. or you are a seasoned marathoner, cyclist and/or Ironman.  You all inspire me to get out the door, to get more out of myself than sometimes I feel like doing.  So when you don't feel like lacing up those shoes or heading to the pool, remember that you are inspiring others, and we are so very thankful.


No comments:

Post a Comment