Saturday, September 29, 2012

(You Gave Me) Just What I needed

Last week, I posetd about making running FUN again.  With the encouragement of my awesome friend Pete, I left my training brain at home and went out to enjoy myself.  It was a rejuvenating week, and just what I needed. 

I met up with my friends Kate, Rob and Julie two Wednesdays in a row for 5 mile runs with Fit2Run and Running for Brews.  I LOVE this running group.  First of all, there is beer at the end.  Second, I get to spend time with my friends (Kate and Julie).  Third, I make new friends (Rob).  And did I mention there is beer at the end?  If you haven't guessed, I like beer.  I haven't been permitting myself to drink beer, save for after a race or a very rare occassion, because it is supposedly counterproductive to training.  I decided that a glass of beer once a week is not going to derail my performance, and that I need to engage in social activities other than training.

Last Saturday morning I met up with other friends (Sherrie, JC, Jen, Chris, Melissa, Sue, Pete, Nick, Brad, Beth...) at Coachman Park in Clearwater, Florida, to cycle 100km (62.5 miles) with Miles for Hope.  I stayed true to my word, and rode without my watch. 



I participated in this ride for two reasons - 1) Pete asked me to, and 2) I needed to know that I could complete 56 miles on my bike.  I rode the entire way with my new friend Chris, who is part of our Team In Training Group heading to Miami Man in November.  We had a great time chatting and enjoying the challenging course, and it was MUCH appreciated when Pete would ride up behind us and shout "Great job!  Now get up that bridge!"  The weather was perfect, the company was entertaining, and the cause was heartwarming.  Take 10 minutes and read all about it here. 

Some days, when I am running or biking, I really want to stop.  Mostly when I am running.  For most of us, there are only so many miles that constitue a "comfortable" run.  Notice I did not say "easy."  To me, there really is no such thing as an easy run.  They're all tough, lol.  I very rarely allow myself to stop.  I may slow down, and I may walk, but I have never quit.  It's just not an option.  When I feel the fatigue begining to set in, I tell myself "my feet are quick.  my legs are strong.  i can do this all day long."  And then I count steps, or telephone poles, or white cars.  Anything to take my mind off of my tired legs.  I turn my ipod on, skip from Tom Petty to Ke$ha, Britney, Eminem, Peter Gabriel.  I think about the days when I was going through chemo, when I had no energy to even walk to the end of the street. 

And then I think of this guy, and about how hard more than several of my friends worked to drop 50, 90, 150 pounds, and how hard they continue to work to live a healthy life.  I think about the courage it took to take that first step, full of self-doubt and fear of failure, the strength to continue on when no one thought that they could achieve their goals.  I am beyond proud of each of them, and I am excited to be a small part of their journey as they exceed their old dreams and follow their new ones.

All week, I watched as my friends updated their status for tomorrow's 70.3 in Augusta, and I will admit, I had MAJOR race envy.  I was kicking myself for not signing up, for not, at the very least, making the drive to cheer them all on as they swim, bike and run through Augusta. 

This morning I ran with the Pete and A-Train Tri Club.  When I pulled into the parking lot and saw several others waiting, I felt the envy lift a little (I'd still love to be up there cheering!), and I was ready to run.  I did turn my watch on today, although I switched it to show my heart rate instead of my time.  The majority of this group is way faster than I am, but I was determined to try to keep up for the first part of the run.  I hung on until mile 3.5, but their pace was a little too quick so I fell back a little.  I was able to keep them semi-close until mile 7.5, and then I knew that there was no way I could keep up for the remaining 6miles.  Oddly enough, I was okay with that, and contined to put one foot in front of the other.

Lucky for me, Miranda slowed down and ran with me.  I was so grateful to have a running buddy, someone to run with for the last part of the run.  I learned a lot of new things today!  She was very helpful, offering tips and suggestions on how to fuel and keep cool for 70.3 in Miami.  At mile 13, I was exhausted, and was at a counting cadence.  Miranda said that she was going to be a mile short, and would I want to run an extra loop through the park?  She had been a Godsend today, and there was absolutely no way I was saying no.  And oddly enough, I felt better after that next mile!  It was just what I needed.

Tomorrow I will rise early, well before dawn, to get ready for a bike ride with many of the same people I've been training with these past couple of weeks.  You know, the ones not in Augusta.  As I ride, I will think of all of the people racing, sending them positive energy with all my might.  Each of these individuals have worked extremely hard to get to the starting line, taking time out of their own training to help guide me in mine.  It is my hope and prayer that their kindness and patience is returned to them tenfold out on the race course tomorrow.  Without Gene, Sherrie, JC, Jen, Whitney, Brad and Beth, I would not be the triathlete I am today, the triathlete I have yet to become.

And so I run.

1 comment:

  1. Your my inspiration to be out here! And I have total pace envy for you! ;)

    ReplyDelete