Friday, December 28, 2012

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams" ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

During my high school National Honor Society induction, our principal gave a speech, in which he said "We all have goals.  My goal is to one day be principal at an outstanding school."  Yes, he actually said that, out loud, to an auditorium full of the "smart kids" and their parents. 

At the time, we were all outraged - we were insulted, feeling that we were considered inferior to our school principal.  It is still off-putting, I will admit, but it stuck with me.  Somewhere on my path, I realized that he was just being honest, trying to convey the importance of setting goals for ourselves, the importance of never settling for average.

As I reflect on the past year, most of which was well outside of my comfort zone, I look forward to what the new year will bring, and I am excited to build on the cornerstones that were laid in 2012.

In no particular order:

Goal #1:  Work Promotion.  I do not work at a company that hands these out just for longevity; all promotions are earned.  I know that if I work hard and take initiative, I will have the opportunity to move forward towards more responsibility and opportunity.  It only took 11 years out of college, but I finally want to carve a career for myself.  And in accounting.  Who knew?

Goal #2:  Run Faster.  I have been running - consistently - for four years now, and I have gotten faster.  I know that I have more in me, that I am fully capable of cutting my mile times down another 60-90 seconds.  This year I will focus on speedwork and form, making sure to push myself as hard and as far as I possibly am able, and when I reach that point, I will push a little harder.  If you see me slacking, please call me on it.

Goal #3:  70.3.  Simple as that.  I am determined to finish the distance.  March 23rd, 2013, I will.

Goal #4:  Spend more time with my family and friends.  This includes my endurance athlete friends as well as all of my friends who could care less about swimming, biking, running, yoga, etc.  I love you all!  I've realized that time stops for no one, and that it really does fly.  I don't want to miss out on lazy days by the pool with my mom, taking Zeus to the beach, watching my nieces and nephews grow and play and learn, taking every opportunity possible to see my grandparents, brother and sister.

Goal #5:  Run a 4 hour marathon.  This ties to Goal #2, of running faster.  Currently, my PR is 5:09.  I know I can do better. 

Goal #6:  Learn to swim.  Okay, okay.  I can swim.  But not well.  Not strong enough.

Goal #7:  Bike faster.  Last year I began clocking a 10 mph average on my bike.  I am currently holding 18-19mph, which is a huge improvement.  With a little help from my friends, I know I can get this up over 20-21 mph, and hold it.  I do not want to get dropped anymore. 

Goal #8:  Enjoy our wedding!  All of the "big stuff" is taken care of already, so it's not very stressful.  I am excited to plan the other details, and to share our happiness with all of our friends and family.  Chad and I are looking forward to being Mr. & Mrs., and to all that our new life together will bring.

Now, each of these 8 goals have sublevels and layers of goals, but these are the basics.  I am currently laying out a Plan A and a Plan B to ensure that I am prepared to soar.

Happy New Year!

Let's go run . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment