Monday, May 13, 2013

Beginning Again

Today is THE day.  May 13th, 2013 - the day that my newest endurance journey begins.  I am holding a training plan for my new "A" race of the season, the Augusta 70.3 half iron triathlon.  It is a little bit intense, but it's also just what I need in order to be successful this September.  While I have glanced through the weeks, I have decided to simply focus on each current week, following the answer "What is one bite at a time, Alex" to the question "How do you eat an elephant?"  Thanks to this guy for the funnies:


To keep me accountable, I am going to post my weekly plan on this blog, and the actual miles on Daily Mile.  I know you are all on the edge of your seats, so here's what's on deck for Week #1:

Mon:  Swim 1600m - Bike 1 hour, Run 20 minutes
Tue:   Bike 1 hour (easy), lift legs (heavy) - Swim 1600m, lift legs (heavy)
Wed:  Bike 1 hour (moderate), Run 2 miles
Thu:   Swim 2000m, lift upper body
Fri:     Run 3 miles
Sat:    Bike 2 hours - Dash N Splash (Run 2 miles, Swim 600 yards, Run 1 mile) + Bike
Sun:   Run 4 miles

My changes are in RED.  Not too bad for a beginning, right?  Totally doable.  The reason for swapping Monday and Tuesdays is this - my swim coach, Lora, is offering a 16 week bike clinic.  I am never above learning, and riding with others is always much more fun than riding alone.  Yes, I did ask my Tri Coach if this was permissible.

Last week I decided to add on another challenge to Augusta.  I registered, once again, for Team In Training.  In celebration of my 15th year in remission, I am raising much needed funds for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.  To make a donation, please visit my personal fundraising website:  http://pages.teamintraining.org/sun/Augusta13/megansuper

I am extremely fortunate to be able to fundraise and train through Team In Training.  Augusta will be my 7th fundraising event, and my 9th overall event as part of Team (I coached two seasons!).  The people I have met through this organization are amazing, and I am truly blessed to know each and every one of them.  The selflessness and generosity is unmatched.  While we all have our own reasons for signing up, we are bonded by the cause - erasing the cancers that plague millions.  We choose to make a difference in the ways we are able, and we will not stop until a cure is found.  Please consider joining our team as a hero - I'll do the training for all of us!  

And so I run . . . 

2 comments:

  1. That's a heavy week in store, but its going to make you pretty damn strong September. Are you training alone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I didn't think it was too bad! Lol. Nope - I mean, there will be some lonely training days, but mostly I am training with the A-Train and TEAM. Let me know what your plan entails - I'm always up for group swims/rides/runs!

    ReplyDelete