Friday, March 27, 2015

Lessons from the Little Blue Truck

There is a book I read to Lucas called "The Little Blue Truck."  We read it so often, I don't even need to look at the pages to tell the story.  The theme of the book is friendship and the reward of helping others.  As I was reflecting on the past few days, a passage came to life in my head:

"Thanks, little brother," 
said the Dump to Blue.  
"You helped me and they helped you.  
Now I see a lot depends 
on a helping hand 
from a few good friends."

I actually almost started to cry, because I realized how lucky I am to have friends in my life that offer help in so many ways.  I've been struggling with my workouts, both getting them done and being happy with the results . . . I've been struggling at work, overwhelmed with my new role and the way it consumes my non-working hours . . . I've been struggling with guilt over not spending enough time with my husband . . . the ONE person who gets all of my focus is Lucas.  I know he will not be little for very long, and I am cherishing every single moment I spend with my sweet baby boy.

I realized, that when I struggle to find the time for a ride, or a run, or a swim, there are so many who step up and say "let me know when you want to go, I'll go with you."  Or "I'll watch Lucas, just let me know when you need me."  Just this afternoon, my mom offered to watch him tomorrow afternoon so that I could run or ride or catch up on work.

When I am struggling to be happy with my mile time or my bike pace, I am flooded with messages reminding me that it's a gift, a journey, and look how much I am capable of doing just by sheer determination - and not just from my regular running and tri buddies, from people I have had the opportunity to known throughout my life.

While I am struggling with work, my team jumps in and says "Let me show you how I do it, it's way faster," or "how can I help, I can see the stress on your face every morning."  I am a big ol' P in a sea of strong J's.

My husband . . . I am still figuring that one out, and trying to make a more conscious effort to make him know how much I love him, how much I value him.  I know I have a lot of work to do here :)

And then there are those with whom I see or talk to infrequently who ask "how's the running going?  what are you training for?  are you raising money this year?"  I am always amazed that people take the time to remember these things, that they ask in earnest and truly want to hear the answer.

This journey to Ironman is the biggest challenge I have taken on, possibly ever.  Instead of looking at the trees, I see the forest.  I need the trees, each is important and valued.  But the forest - the forest is the beauty of ALL the trees.  That's how I see Ironman.  A big, beautiful forest.




No comments:

Post a Comment