Monday, March 18, 2013

Ready or not, it's Race week!

I've known that my "bright idea" / "redemption" race was fast approaching, and yet I've done very little in preparation for the half iron distance I am attempting to finish this Saturday.

On paper, I know I have set myself up for failure.  I have not followed any sort of training schedule.  In fact, I am relatively certain that I have trained less for this event than for any other event I have chosen to do.  I have taken steps to get better - boot camp for strength and agility, swim lessons for any sort of improvement in the water, track/speed clinics for running smarter and faster.  But training?  It is a sad state of affairs, my friends.  Last week I believe I swam for 1 hour and 30 minutes, total, rode 26 miles on my bike at a semi-leisurely pace, ran 11 miles, went to my first track workout and did 2 boot camp classes.  Now, had I been diligently following my training plan and had the room to begin my taper last week, this would be somewhat acceptable.

Mentally, I know that I can press on, that I will be able to push past the point of pain.  My guess is that this will come somewhere around the first buoy of the 1.2 mile swim, when I will think "Oh my goodness!  I am exhausted and I just got to the first buoy!  How am I ever going to swim 1.2 miles in an hour?"  I will tell myself "Take a deep breath, use your side stroke, get to the next marker.  It will be okay."  And somehow, I will get out of the water, just beating the clock, close to tears because I am tired and relieved at the same time, trying to remember where I racked my bike, going over my transition routine as I make my way from the water to my bike. 

I have read and re-read the athlete guide at least 5 times, and will most likely do so another 5 times before race day.  I know the cut off times for each leg, I know where the aid stations are and what will be served at each one.  I have a good idea of the course, thanks to my friends John and Jen, who not only went to the HITS tri camp earlier this month, but who also went back to Ocala to do part of the course this past weekend while I went to a birthday party and watched game after game of conference basketball tournaments.  What can I say?  It's MARCH MADNESS, BABY!

My friend Jim completed his very first 70.3 yesterday in San Juan, Puerto Rico.  He did AWESOME!!!!!  I am so proud of him - I know it was a long road full of trials and compromise, and I know he is in some pain, but it will wear off and he will be ready to go again.  It's just what triathletes do.  

The only worry I have for this race (besides the swim, of course) is how my body will hold.  I know I am strong, but I am worn out.  It started with a tight calf muscle, which has since progressed to a tight hip, glute, hamstring and shin; not to mention a high ankle strain (most likely from overcompensating for the tightness in my right leg) and a back that sounds like milk being poured on a bowl of Rice Krispies every time I move.  I've been doing everything I can think of to loosen up - stretching, ice baths, compression socks, Arctic Ease  wraps, a heating pad - even Advil.  I need to book a massage, but I am nervous that it will only make my poor muscles more sore (if that is even possible).  I should probably go to the doctor, but it's going to have to wait until after the race.

You're shaking your head.  I know - I, too, am wondering what I am doing, attempting a half iron distance without proper training.  My goal is simply to finish.  I do have a time in mind, but that would require everything going extremely well, and I am enough of a realist to know that it's a long shot.  So as long as I get out of the water in the 70 minute allotment, I have faith that I will finish the race.  I am excited to go to Ocala, to toe the line with many of my friends, and to cheer them along as they begin their race season.

And so I run.

No comments:

Post a Comment