Tuesday, March 5, 2013

You are what you eat

Last week, I decided that it would be a fantastic idea to start taking Boot Camp classes with Faith Jenkins at Del Oro Park in Clearwater.  I did this for two reasons:  1) to tone my arms for my upcoming wedding (yes, I happen to be slightly vain), and 2) to strengthen the smaller muscle groups that will enable me to become a better triathlete.  It's always there - that need to be better, to get stronger.

The classes are fantastic - small in size, but not in substance!  I was so sore after the first class that it took me 3 days to be able to sit down without my legs wanting to buckle.  I wisely paid upfront for 10 sessions, knowing that if I paid for it, I will go.  And if I don't, Faith will totally call me out, and I cannot let that happen!  If you have been thinking about adding a boot camp class or just trying something new, come on out and join us!  It really is fun - I wasn't nearly as sore after my second class, and I ran 3 miles beforehand.

Faith has partnered with a new-ish establishment called Fit Life Foods.


I had heard of this previously, through my Team In Training coaches, but hadn't tried the meals.  I had NO IDEA what I was missing!  Now, I am not an expert, by any means, but lately I have been trying to tweak my diet, to choose healthier, more nutrient rich foods.  Sadly, chocolate chip cookies do not fall into this category, and while I have cut back considerably, I do still cave once a week.

I try to follow the NSNG lifestyle, but it's not for me.  Not right now.  I think that I am not ready to accept it just yet, and that is the whole starting point of change, right?  You have to WANT to change.  I am working on it - Rome wasn't built in a day, you know ;-p

Anyways.  Chad and I do not have a dishwasher in our new home.  We will eventually purchase and install one, but for now we are the ones with dish pan hands.  There are only two of us, so it's not completely awful.  The tricky part is that we eat different things, and more often than not, I cook two different meals.  The dishes add up, and sometimes I just don't want to dirty any new ones.  You can judge me - I don't mind.

Sunday afternoon I went to Fit Life Foods on McMullen Booth Road to browse the selection and to learn a bit more about the food.  Each meal is prepared with organic, preservative and additive free ingredients.  It is all "clean eating," so to speak.

Most of the meals come in 3 different sizes - small, medium and large.  The nice girl working there informed me that most women choose the small meals.  I just smiled and nodded, knowing that I would need at least the medium meal in order to have enough energy to complete my workouts - or so I thought.

It took me awhile to decide, but finally I made my selections:  cashew chicken, greek meatballs, salmon patty, and turkey chili with a mini cornbread flax seed muffin.  The cashew chicken and salmon patty were the small meals, and lo and behold, both were completely satisfying!  I wasn't hungry after eating either, and they were both tasty!  The salmon patty came with a kick but spicy chipotle sauce.  Delicious!!!!

Here is the label on the cashew chicken:

Cal 210
Fat 5g
Carb 16g
Prot 22g
Fiber 3g

I selected the Greek meatball meal in the medium size.  It was okay - not my favorite, but only because of the sauce.  The couscous, asparagus and meatballs I liked.  The medium proved to be a little much, and so I gave a couple to Zeus.  He was one happy pup!
Photo: Hanging out with this handsome guy today <3

Today I had the last meal - the Turkey Bean Chili.  It was fantastic!  I ate the entire large container, plus the mini muffin.  I currently feel a bit like I just ate Thanksgiving dinner.  Truthfully, I only bought the large because they didn't have the other sizes and I really wanted to try it as one of my meals.  I had a coupon for a free meal, so in total I spent $23.95 on 3 meals - $8.31/meal on average, which is the same (or less) than you would spend eating fast food or at a restaurant.

Since I don't mind cooking or eating freshly prepared salads, I probably will not utilize the Meal Plan much, but I will be stopping to pick up fresh, healthy meals to have for lunch or dinner each week.  They have such a great selection - mac n cheese, chicken, turkey, veggie burgers - even brownies and fruit bowls!

I am already busy planning my next visit to Fit Life, and scouring the menu to select the meals I will purchase to supplement my cooking over the next week.

I encourage you to check it out.  There are (4) locations in the Tampa Bay area - South Tampa, 4th Street in St. Pete, Safety Harbor and Carrollwood.  Give it a try - you will be glad that you did!  Change your diet . . . change your life!


No comments:

Post a Comment