Saturday, March 9, 2013

This Seemed Like a Good Idea 6 Months Ago

Two weeks out from my 2nd attempt at the half-iron distance triathlon, and I am sitting here questioning whether or not I can really do this.

Normally I would confidantly say YES, I CAN, but . . . . this time, I have doubts.  Rewind to this time last year, when I was just beginning to test the triathlon waters, nervously building my endurance in the pool to get ready for St. Anthony's Triathlon.  I was focused, trying to learn all I could about swimming and biking, and then adding it to what I thought I knew about running. 

All things considered, my first triathlon season was a success.  I completed 3 sprint distance triathlons, knocking 15 minutes off of my time at each race.  I completed an Olympic Distance triathlon, and I was so proud of myself for doing so.  I attempted a 70.3 triathlon, and in my failure to do so, I had the strength to cheer on everyone else that was finishing, because I was so happy to see their hard work pay off, to see them be the champions they are.  I made new friends, learned new skills, and had FUN!

That being said . . . back to Miami.  I learned more from not finishing that race than perhaps I would have had I actually crossed the line.  Or so I tell  myself.  Right after Miami, I turned my focus to the Goofy Challenge at Disney World.  I stopped swimming, rode my bike occassionally, and ran . . . once in awhile.  I was so tired - I was slammed at work, newly engaged, and ready to enjoy the holidays.  I finished both the half and full marathons at Disney, and, tired or not, it was time to re-train for triathlon.

I signed up for the HITS series in Ocala, FL, to prove to myself that I am capable of completing the distance, that I am better than Miami.  The race is close to home, well before our upcoming wedding, and extremely affordable. 

What I did not expect, however, was that I would not want to train.  At all.  I didn't run for two weeks after Disney . . . I got on my bike on the weekends, but only if it was above 50 degreees.  I took a spin class here and there, and avoided the pool like the plague.

It wasn't until recently that I began to get it together.  I've still only swam twice, and I haven't been on my bike in 2, maybe 3 weeks.  There have been no brick workouts.  I've been going to boot camp and running.  I am sore, but I feel stronger.

Today I learned that there is a 1 hour and 10 minute limit for the swim portion of the tri.  My swim time in Miami was 1:08:57.  Did I mention that I haven't been swimming?  I am now freaking out, worrying that I just might have another DNF. 

There's not much I can do at this point, except swim a few times a week for the next two weeks, trying my best to stay calm in the water.  My plan for race day is to take my time.  Trying to go fast will just cause me to panic, and then it will go south from there.  I have to stay positive, stay focused, and just take one stroke at a time.  Once I get out of the water, it will be okay.

So ready or not, in two weeks I will attempt another 70.3.  This really did seem like a good idea six months ago.  It is what it is.  Maybe in failing to prepare I have prepared myself to fail, but I will pack my bag and toe the line, ready to give it my best shot.

And so I run.

No comments:

Post a Comment